15 June 2012

In her father's words, Monday, June 11

As I was helping Sophie tuck her things in her cubby, Mrs. Brocker came over and handed me a ½ sheet of paper.  It was an invitation to the award ceremony on Thurs morning @ 8:15am in the gym.  There was a blank @ the top to write in the student’s name. Lower down, there were 3 things she could check: Perfect Attendance, Academic Achievement, Principal’s Award.

Sophie had the Academic Achievement & Principal’s Award checked.

Mrs. Brocker said she only give out 3 of the PA’s each ear so they are a very big deal (bigger in her mind than the various Achievement awards/medallions kids can earn during the year).  She said Sophie has been an excellent student. Her academics were excellent. Her reading ability was stellar and she’s shown much improvement even in that over the year. She’s been doing well all year and has just gotten better as the year went on. She said Sophie has really learned how to be friends with all kinds of different people, figured out how to get along with them all.

Sophie came over part way through the conversation so Mrs. Brocker turned to her and told her she would be getting the PA. Her face just lit up with surprise and sheer joy. “I am?!!! I’m getting the PA! I’m getting the PA!!”

Mrs. Brocker walked away then and Sophie ran right to me and hugged me. Then was jumping up and down and flapping her hands – “I’m getting the PA!!!”

I bent down, gave her another big hug and kiss and told her how proud I was. She was just beaming and so happy. I just love that child so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home