Things are out of order
The evening of Nov 19 was a gift. Sophie helped me get errands done after picking her up from Julie’s. We had to purchase some medicine, some garlic and some birds for Thanksgiving. She was a great little helper. When we got home it was dinner and then off for a walk. It was a full walk – checking out all the neighborhood lamps, signs and twinkle lights. There were doggies in the windows and even Quincy, out with his owner for a walk. “Quincy is a little boy on Little Einsteins Mommy.” “What a very nice lady Mommy.” We walked fast, ran, skippy dee do dah’d (skipped), did the aeroplane (thank you Liza), did the twist walk (looks like an impaired, slow motion Charleston) and jumped over a long stretch of sidewalk cracks. My shins are throbbing. “I love you Sophie.” “I love you too.” We get home, I suggest tea and she wants a bath. She had a bath last night. I compromise with a sink bath. That’s over and she heads to the easel. I tell her I’ll be right back after I go down stairs to get her medicine. “May I come too Mommy?” “Of course.”
She steps up to her step stool and squeezes an eye dropper of echinacea into a shot glass (thank you Shelley) drinks and wants another drink to “wash it down.” “Please pour me another.” (For real.) So I fill her glass up with more water. She’s leaning over the countertop from one side and I from the other. It feels like a bar scene and she says, “Mommy, what you do today?” (Really?!) “Well, I audited and submitted the FSA biweekly elections and double checked the Unum elections against what they had on file.” Another drink and even a clink. “Cheers.” “What else you do today?” “Well, it’s a short week so I started in on payroll-related changes, new hire entries, consumer entries…you know, ADP.” “Good. What else you did today Mommy?” “Hmm, OK, well, I started off today responding to all the emails and voicemails from Friday and updated the RSVPs and service award orders for the holiday parties, walked over and apologized in person to an employee (processed her $50 403(b) contribution as 50% OF HER PRETAX PAY), picked up $8000+ in gift cards for our staff and worked on the sign off for distribution.” “What else?” “Helped an employee confirm that his newborn daughter was on his insurance.” “Was it time for his baby to come out of his tummy?” “Well his baby came out of his wife’s tummy a little while ago.” “Good. I want some more Momma.” I pour her another [shot] glass. Of water. “Why are you writing ABCs?” “So I can remember this.” “What else you did at work?” “Oh, Sophie, I caught up on things I missed Friday about the Finance consolidation, benefit consultant follow-up and reminded our employees that they have until 12/1 to complete the Health Risk Assessment – FSA incentive. I even read up a little on employer’s rights for recertification under FMLA.” We start sharing a ginger bread man cookie (thank you Sara). “I like the face.” "How about we save some for tomorrow?" “Oh, that’s a good idea.”
Never mind that going up to bed involved two time outs and her loss of privileges for chocolate, sugar and TV the next day
Never mind that going up to bed involved two time outs and her loss of privileges for chocolate, sugar and TV the next day

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home